For lovers of cannabis and kombucha, a recipe bringing the two together is the ultimate combination. Kombucha is a fermented, lightly sweetened tea-based drink that dates back centuries and is said to have a handful of wellness benefits, due to being rich in probiotics and enzymes. Combined with the health benefits of cannabis, it becomes a delightful treat that is sure to please.
To ensure success, create your cannabis kombucha using a high-quality SCOBY, organic cane sugar, and a cannabis-infused tea that is oil free. Many cannabis teas on the market are infused via some method involving cannabis oil, so be sure to avoid oils or honey in your brew, as they can interact negatively with the SCOBY and ruin the kombucha. For this reason, we have chosen a great, oil-free cannabis black tea for the following recipe. Combined with the necessary ingredients and a flavor of your choice, you’ll have a delicious homemade cannabis kombucha in as little as 7–14 days.
Cannabis-Infused Kombucha Recipe
Start to finish: 1–2 weeks
Yields: 10 servings
Approximate dosage: 10mg per serving*
Ingredients and Supplies
- 10 cannabis-infused tea packets (we used Stillwater Brands Blissful Black 10mg Whitewater Tea, available in Colorado)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- High-quality SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast)
- 1 cup liquid from pre-made, unflavored kombucha (store-bought)
- 1 gallon purified water
- 1 quart juice of choice (optional, for flavoring)
- 2–4 large, sterilized glass bottles or jars
- Fermentation cover for each jar
- Begin by preparing tea. Boil a gallon of clean, purified water and add cane sugar, stirring well to dissolve fully. Then, add 10 cannabis tea bags or packets to the hot water and allow to steep.
- Allow tea mixture to fully cool to room temperature. This is an important step and must not be rushed, or else the heat could kill the SCOBY. When the tea is entirely cooled, pour it into the glass bottles or jars. Make sure a couple inches are left empty at the top.
- Pour in ½ cup of unflavored store-bought kombucha. (In the future, you will be able to use a ½ cup of your own previously brewed kombucha, instead of store-bought.)
- Next, with clean hands, add the SCOBY to the glass jar. Whether it sinks or floats makes no difference, it will change as it grows.
- Cover the jars tightly with the fermentation covers to keep them clean and sterile. Then place the jars in a warm section of your kitchen, making sure to keep it away from any other fermenting items you may have. The brew should be kept stored at about 75–85˚F. If you need a little help maintaining that temperature, consider purchasing a kombucha heater.
- Allow to ferment for 7–10 days. To test whether the kombucha is ready, carefully open the lid and place a straw into the brew, cap the end with your finger and pull it out, then drink from the end of the straw. When it is ready it will have a tart but semi-sweet flavor.
- Your cannabis kombucha is now ready and can be poured into smaller jars with airtight lids to enjoy! Or, if you prefer, you can begin the following (optional) second fermentation process to add flavor and carbonation.
Optional Second Fermentation
- Sterilize two additional large glass bottles or jars. Pour one quart of a juice of your choice into this jar, and then pour the fermented cannabis kombucha into the jar, leaving an inch from the top open. You can also add berries, ginger, lemon, fruit, and other flavorings of your choice at this point.
- Leave ½ cup of the fermented kombucha in the original jar with the SCOBY and use this to start a new batch of cannabis kombucha, using the same instructions as above.
- Cover the jar containing your juice and kombucha blend with a tight-fitting lid and allow to sit at room temperature for an additional 7–10 days or until carbonated to your liking.
- Enjoy cold from the refrigerator or over ice.
*Note: The amount of cannabis tea specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis tea and the potency you desire. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.
Thanks you for visiting FLMMCC.com, the premier Medical Marijuana Certification Center in Florida. Currently, there is a Medical Marijuana Initiative on the November 2016 Ballot to legalize High-THC Medical Marijuana in the State of Florida. The FLMMCC Florida State Licensed Doctors are ready to review your medical records for a “FREE Pre-Qualification”. This will be the first step in becoming a legal Florida Medical Marijuana patient when the law passes.